Monday, May 3, 2010

Maple Story

Maple story is a free MMO 2d side scrolling game. Although the game is free, it does have many items that players can buy items for many reasons. Some are just leisurely, for example having a pet follow the owner around; others purchase items for trade. Each player is sent on a quest by an NPC, most of the questing being beating monsters or avoiding danger in obstacle courses. Within the game of Maple Story there are quests, minigames, marriages and events.
Marriages, in Maple Story, like everything else must be achieved by completed the sufficient quests. The couple can invite guests, and the wedding ceremony is a series of quests. To hold a reception players must buy a ticket from the Cash Shop. Minigames are played to win in-game prizes. Players can also form guilds, to socialize with other members while working together to win quests.
When I began playing Maple Story, I had some issues finding the chat button. So I started "griefing" I began following other players, fighting the same monsters they were fighting and stealing their coins. Once they got frustrated with me and began to talk to me, I found the button.I found that unlike all the other MMOs, this seemed to be the one aimed towards children and tweens. This became apparent, by the style of the game, through the artwork, side-scrolling, and the pay-by-item economy. I even noticed, when I would enter Maple Story later in the night, it was more uncommon for me to find someone playing, unlike all the other MMOs.

No comments:

Post a Comment